The importance of bathroom lighting
Most people often overlook the importance of bathroom lighting, choosing instead to focus on other more public areas such as living rooms, hallways, and kitchens.
However, given the amount of time we spend in our bathrooms (which is a lot), we should really begin to put in more time and thought on how we light the space up.
Plus, when chosen correctly, bathroom lighting not only has the power to beautify the room, but also to improve task concentration and effectiveness, and keep you safe.
The bathroom is usually the first place we go to at the start of the day, and the last one before we go to bed. When done right, the bathroom lighting should help us feel good and ready for the rest of the day, as well as help us relax and wind down for the night.
Some of the daily routines in the bathroom include washing, shaving, grooming and putting on make-up. These are tasks that require good lighting for accuracy and effectiveness. To be able to look immaculate and ready for the day, you need good lighting at the right angles. Without the right lighting, you might miss a spot when shaving, or turn up at work with the colour of the face a few shades too dark and the eyebrows uneven.
Get some good vanity lights installed around your mirror, and these horror mistakes will be a thing of the past.
Bathrooms can easily be the most dangerous place in the house, as it is prone to accidents. According to the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 235,000 adults in the US visit the emergency department every year due to injuries suffered in the bathroom.
Firstly, bathrooms are often damp or wet and slippery, making it easy to slip and fall. Secondly, bathrooms are usually a dark, closed space with little to no windows, and without proper lighting, it can be difficult to see where you are going or what you are stepping on.
Keep your bathroom bright and well-lit, and keep you and your family safe.
Bathroom lighting ideas
When it comes to bathroom lighting, there are many styles, shapes, types and sizes to choose from. Here are some quick tips to keep in mind when planning for bathroom lights:
- Have a light over the bathtub and/or shower to help you wash and groom better. It’s perfect for reading in the bath too.
- Vanity lights mounted either above or on both sides of the mirror will prevent shadows from falling on the face.
- Stay away from fluorescent lights. Unless you want your bathroom to feel like a warehouse.
- If possible, go for lights with dimmers so that you can easily adjust the brightness in the bathroom according to mood and use.
- Lights with brass and chrome finishes give your bathroom a classic feel and go well with most decors.
- Turn up the glam factor in your bathroom with a statement light, like a pendant or chandelier!
Need help with choosing the perfect lights for your bathroom?
At Australian Lighting, our friendly and experienced team will provide you with practical yet creative solutions for your home within your budget. Drop by any of our stores, or call (03) 9548 9200 today.